Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"Yes" is a Good Word

When feeling somewhat exasperated with me, Sue (my wife) will often say, "You know Jerry, you just live in your own world!"   My reply is often with a tentative smile, "You know, you're right. And it's a great world I live in. You ought to join me there sometime!"

Let me share with you something about my world.  In my world, I have never expected anyone to say "no" to me.  You're probably rolling your eyes about now and perhaps wondering how I tend to deal with rejection for, certainly, people must have said "no" many times over the past sixty plus years!

And you're right.  I've had several respond to my appeal with a "no" answer.  I tend to be pretty sensitive and I really don't like the feeling that accompanies rejection.  And, there still remains a part of me that is surprised when it happens.  My conclusion is simply, "I just didn't give them enough opportunities to say "yes!"  

Amidst this rather mundane story there is an important development lesson.  

When someone says "no" to a request for help, in whatever form that appeal might present itself, it represents more than just a simple rejection; their response closes a door.  And once the door is closed for whatever reason, it is always much harder the next time to jar it open!

Here's my point, when you talk with individuals about your important work, suggest to them a variety of ways in which they can be involved.  Don't focus on money, focus on ways in which they might partner with you in your endeavors.

I like to phrase it something like this, "Often when I talk to people about my work, I find that they are curious about ways in which they can share in what we do.  Let me share with you 5-6 ways you can plug into what we're doing."  I'll share with them a list, often printed in a brochure or card, that will list several ways.  And there will always be something that they could easily say "yes" if they had the slightest interest in my work.  

Think of ways in which people could be involved.  They could pray for you, they could elect to receive a "free" VIP e-mail briefing, they could subscribe to a quarterly newsletter, they could become a "representative" for your organization in their church, business, or service club, etc. The list is endless. 

"Yes" keeps the door of opportunity open.  It takes time to build life-long relationships.


No comments: